Here we go! Episode 11 features the queen of vegan festivals, Jessica Schoech (pronounced “Shay” – weird, I know). Jessica is the founder of the wildly popular and successful Vegan Street Fair and Vegan Street Fair Nights, both in Los Angles, New York, and potentially coming to a city new you! Looking at you, Vegas, Seattle, and San Diego. Jessica curated these annual events so everyone, vegan or otherwise, can “Eat all the vegan things” in one place and time. However, her events are so entertaining and emit such a good vibe, you could attend, not eat a thing, and still have a blast. But of course, for your listening pleasure, we’re focusing on the food. Listen in for an awesome conversation about everything from nachos, the Impossible Burger, the best vegan eats around the country, and veganism as a lifestyle opposed to a diet. As always, listen, subscribe, rate, review, and share!
- What Jessica brought to the potluck: Health-Ade Kombucha Holiday Flavor (I tried it after recording – its good!)
- What Tanya brought to the potluck: Yellow Cake with homemade chocolate frosting. Cake made with Bob’s Red Mill Yellow Cake Mix. A bit dense – its gluten free – but still delicious, especially when smothered in homemade chocolate buttercream and layered with homemade cookie dough. Oh yeah.
- We mentioned that Happy Cow rated Vegan Street Fair as the largest vegan event in the world (based on attendees). Check out the Happy Cow website and the app to find a vegan-friendly eatery wherever you are in the world! It’s like vegan Yelp!
- Jessica’s San Diego vegan picks: Anthem Vegan, and Osteria Panevino (ask your server for vegan options)
- Jessica’s Seattle vegan picks: Snackrilege, Fatsquach, and Plum Bistro.
- Jessica’s Los Angeles vegan picks: Cena Vegan (barbacoa all the way!), Donut Friend (get the creme brulee donut), Divine Dips, and Charlie’s Brownies (you can’t go wrong with the bronut – any flavor will blow your mind).
- Jessica’s vegan “gateway” restaurants: Wheel of Life (Irvine), Cena Vegan (LA), Mohawk Bend (LA).
- Best Brunch; The Wild Chive’s Monte Cristo. Decadence at its finest. #shameless.
- Best LA sit-down restaurant: Crossroads Kitchen. Order the Seafood Tower (when in season), and Eggs Benedict. The Caesar Salad and the flatbreads are also bomb.
- Best LA causal restaurant: Veggie Grill. Order the B-Wing Salad, Kale Caesar, or any of the wraps.
- Contenders in the Best Vegan Chicken & Waffles debate: Souley Vegan (San Francisco), Vibe Kitchen & Juice (Newport Beach), Native Foods (multiple U.S. locations).
- Don’t miss Super Vegan Sunday on February 4, 2018 (aka the Super Bowl for all you sports fans). Smorgasburg LA will offer a vegan option from every vendor from 10am – 4pm. Get there early before the vendors sell out…and get home in time to watch the game!